Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Physicist Writes a Better Formula to Predict Baseball Success

ScienceDaily (Mar. 1, 2010) Kerry Whisnant, Iowa State University physicist, studies the mysteries of the neutrino, the elementary particle that usually passes right through ordinary matter such as baseballs and home-run sluggers.

Kerry Whisnant, St. Louis Cardinals fan, studies the mathematical mysteries of baseball, including a long look at how the distribution of a team's runs can affect the team's winning percentage.

Whisnant, a professor of physics and astronomy who scribbles the Cardinals' roster on a corner of his office chalkboard, is part of baseball's sabermetrics movement. He, like other followers of the Society for American Baseball Research, analyzes baseball statistics and tries to discover how all the numbers relate to success on the field.

The results are ideas, analyses, formulas and papers that dig deep into the objective data.

Read more....

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just came across your site, and I think it's great. I maintain my own math site at sk19math.blogspot.com, and I have now linked to your site. In addition, I have also mentioned and recommended your site in a post. I will definitely be a returning visitor to check out more of what your site has to offer. Cheers, and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much SK19!! I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been a little behind on maintaining my website (I've been planning my freshman courses for college this fall and researching research internships!) :P

    I love how many resources your website has! Especially the f(g(x)) section - that concept took a while for me to fully grasp, and your site explains it easily. :)

    I'm posting your website link on my HHZ-Math section, too...thanks again for the comment!

    ReplyDelete